I think today (Sunday) is the first time since the babies were born that I’ve been on my own all day. I don’t mean on a work trip and all alone, I mean at home, all alone, no set plans…..nothing. I can’t lie that I was a little excited about it – everyone needs a break now and again from the non-stop GO of having children.

Funny how things turn out. It is now 4:16pm and this very moment is the first time all day I’ve been able to sit in my home and do anything. Other than a 30 minute diversion in the car earlier, it’s the first “me-time” in what feels like 10 years. Here’s a summary of the day:

  • 7am to 8:30am – get up, help feed and dress kids, play with them for a few mins, help put ’em in the car. And they’re off!
  • 8:30 – 9:00: shower, get dressed, have some OJ (with lots of pulp, of course)
  • 9:00 – 9:15: Internet time: hit ConsumerReports.com to print some ratings and set fantasy baseball lineups
  • 9:15: off to Lowe’s in Leominster, Mass. (link)
  • 9:15 to 10:50: shop for refridgerator, standing freezer, dehumidifier and some shades (which explains the Consumer Reports ratings)
  • 10:50 to 11:30: drive around Clinton and Lancaster, drove by the old house where I grew up, my grandparents old house and all the other local landmarks. I literally haven’t been there in years, so it’s extremely odd how everything looks so different now. (link)
  • 11:30 – noon: drive home, need lunch. Stop at Bolton Orchards, but the line is too long, so I leave and end up picking up lunch from Greak Brook Farms – a chicken salad, walnut and cranberry sandwich on Honey Wheat bread. Very good.
  • Noon – 12:30: eat lunch, check email
  • 12:30 – 2:00: go outside to cut grass, weed whack, pull weeds and sweat my ass off. Yes, my ass is actually gone from sweating so much.
  • 2:00 – 2:15: take a nice, cold shower. My second of the day.
  • 2:15 – 3:30: replace a light in our kitchen with a new one that we bought a couple of months ago. Like I said, I’m busy. It sometimes does take months to do this stuff.
  • 3:30 – 4:00: drive to Twin Seafood in Concord, MA to pick up dinner for tonight. Haddock for Steph, salmon for me.
  • 4:00 – 4:05: quick diversion into Cumberland Farms, Maynard for the Sunday Boston Globe
  • 4:05 – 4:15: sweep out the garage, get shades and dehumidifier out of car
  • 4:15 – now: type this post, thunder and lightening outside. Glad I mowed when I did!

So……there’s my “day off.” I’m easily as tired as usual.