Well, today is the day I get married. So far there’s been nearly no nervousness. Talk to me again at 5pm, though. Who knows. One wedding-related story before we get to Item Five, though.
I am getting married at my fiance’s parents house, a 200-plus year old New England colonial house, a beautiful house with unbelieveable gardens in the back. Two days ago, a white dove landed on the roof next door and has made it’s home there. If that’s not a sign, I don’t know what is. Very strange!
Today’s Item Five features singer-songwriter extraordinaire, Tim Easton. The Columbus, Ohio based Easton got his start during the great roots rock scare of the mid-’90s by fronting a band called The Haynes Boys. Since then, he’s released a couple of fairly stunning solo records, which are a combination of the rootsty Haynes Boys sound and Easton’s own brand of Dylan-esque rock. Think somewhere between “Highway 61” and “The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan.” Easton’s growth as a songwriter over the last few years has been nothing short of sensational. Even Bruce Springsteen has mentioned Easton as a talented up-and-comer.
Easton’s most recent album is called Break Your Mother’s Heart, and it’s out on New West records now. Here we go:
1. You and I have a connection. A woman I went to college with did the photography for the first Rosavelt CD. Do you care? You can be honest. [note: Rosavelt is another Ohio based band Tim has worked with]
THE SMARTASS ANSWER WOULD BE “NOT REALLY” BUT THE WORLD IS JUST TOO SMALL TO BE A SMARTASS ALL THE TIME. HOWEVER, THE DEGREES OF SEPARATION ARE A BIT LARGE TO SAY THAT YOU AND I HAVE A “CONNECTION!”
2. I understand that you’ve been touring Ohio with a grassroots voter registration group which you started. What made you get involved in such endeavors?
THE PRESIDENT MADE ME DO IT. HE HAS MADE A LOT OF PEOPLE GET OFF THEIR ASSES AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT SHOWING HIM THE DOOR. ACTUALLY, I HAVE WORKED ON VOTER REGISTRATION BEFORE- WHEN CLINTON FIRST RAN. I BELIEVE THAT THE LEVEL OF APATHY IN OUR COUNTRY IS DISGUSTING. PEOPLE – AWAKE FROM YOUR SLUMBER!
3. Did you see Farenheit 9-11?
YES, I DID.
4. Is it true that I don’t have to break my mother’s heart? Did you mean that?
IT’S STRANGE- BUT IN A POLITICAL SENSE YOU REALLY DON’T HAVE TO BREAK YOUR MAMA’S HEART TO CHANGE THE WORLD. IF YOU DO, THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY A FACIST. IN AN ARTISTIC SENSE, SOMETIMES YOU DO HAVE TO BREAK YOUR MAMA’S HEART TO CHANGE THE WORLD. IF YOU DO THAT, THEN YOU ARE INNOVATIVE.
5. Do you ever play the old Haynes Boys song “Jackie?” I really love that one, don’t you?
JUST PLAYED IT – WITH THE HAYNES BOYS – LAST WEEK. EVERY YEAR IN JUNE THERE IS A GREAT COMMUNITY FESTIVAL IN COLUMBUS, OHIO AND MANY TIMES THERE ARE REUNIONS WITH OLD FRIENDS THEN. WE HAD A BLAST.
6. Do you think it’s weird that Columbus has a pro hockey team?
NOTHING WEIRD ABOUT IT- THE CITY HAS GROWN A LOT. I, MYSELF, HAVE NOT BEEN TO ONE OF THESE GAMES- BUT IT’S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME SINCE I PLAYED THE SPORT MYSELF GROWING UP. EVEN PLAYED INTRAMURAL LEAGUE AT OHIO STATE.
7. Who is the most underrated band of all time?
PROBABLY “TELEVISION” OR MAYBE “HALF JAPANESE.”
8. Who was the first band you were obsessed with and how old were you?
THAT IS UNFORTUNETELY THE BAND “KISS” WHO I WISH WOULD JUST FUCKING GO AWAY ALREADY. I WAS IN THE SECOND GRADE.
9. What was the last thing you really laughed hard at?
PROBABLY MY BANDMATES IN THE VAN OR ON STAGE. ALSO DAVID CROSS.
10. Would you rather be Vladimir Putin, Bobcat Goldthwait or Nick Lowe?
I FEEL SORRY FOR PUTIN – VERY TOUGH JOB FOR THAT GUY. I WOULD HAVE TO SAY NICK LOWE FOR MANY REASONS- ONE BEING HE WAS AT ONE TIME PART OF THE CASH FAMILY. LUCKY BRIT.
Many thanks to Tim. Keep spittin’ out great songs!
Song now playing: Merle Haggard – “Hungry Eyes”