I’ve been able to utilize that creativity throughout my professional career, from running my own record label to applying creative out-of-the-box thinking in a Director of Business Development role at a top 10 U.S. Internet property (Ask.com). I also spent six years as VP of Marketing & E-Commerce for a large niche retailer, driving 25-30% revenue growth each year.
I’ve also been pretty lucky to have had some real Forrest Gump moments in my life. Check out some other tidbits about me:
- I was standing about 5 feet from Blue Jays dugout in the 3rd base TV camera area when Joe Carter hit the home run to win the 1993 World Series for the Toronto Blue Jays – and even got to celebrate in the locker room with them afterwards. A picture of my right arm was in Sports Illustrated.
- The day after my college graduation, I met and worked for Oprah Winfrey for 5 days on a freelance assignment. She served me breakfast on an airplane.
- I worked for VH1 for their coverage of the opening of the Rock-and-Roll Hall Of Fame, which culminated in a very large concert. I gave Al Green a ride in a golf cart, I was face-to-face with Johnny Cash, saw Bob Dylan teaching Tom Petty a song and witnessed an awesome temper tantrum by Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders.
- I brought Tim McCarver a cake on national television for his birthday.
- I took an 11,000 mile road trip around the perimeter of the United States in March and April of 1995. The car, a 1989 Subaru GL, only broke down twice.
- My post-college work includes being a video-editor for a large computer company, a promotion and publicity guy for Rounder Records, running my own indie record label, a failed dot-com, ten years as a Director of Business Development at Ask.com and 6 years as VP of Marketing & E-Commerce at Pure Hockey.
- I have NO patience in traffic or trying to find parking spots.
- I’m a Boston Bruins season ticket holder. My first season with the tickets, they won the Stanley Cup. I probably should have stopped then….
- I’m a absolute music nut. From indie rock to classic rock, blues, bluegrass and more. Connect with me on Spotify. While I love the digital age, I’m sad I can’t go into people’s houses anymore, see their CD collection and pre-judge them based on it. I’m kidding. Mostly.
- I have twin boys, Nathan and Zachary, born in 2007. Game changer(s)!
- I pretty much only read historical non-fiction and blogs about marketing, social media and e-commerce.
- Love a good podcast. Maron, Nerdist and Here’s the Thing are my three go-to’s, but I also listen to a lot of marketing podcasts as well. Serial was done beautifully.